Monday, January 5, 2015

The Newsboys are now Atheists


That title probably got your attention didn't it? Well probably only if you're Protestant and love Christian contemporary pop music. I tried to tune in on time to the program on the atheist analysis channel on YouTube where yesterday's program was interviewing a former band member of the Newsboys. I didn't really know the background of this band. I probably listened to a song or two in my time doing youth ministry. However, I never really got into Protestant contemporary Christian music because the theology was always found wanting. Nevertheless, I was interested to see what this program had to offer. I still need to listen to the whole thing to give it a fair assessment. But I did do a little research on the history of the Newsboys and found that the person being interviewed hasn't been a member of the band for 25 years. He left in 1990 a few years before the band even made  any waves in the US music scene. And so I'm just wondering without examining any of the content, what's all the hype about referring to this interviewee as a member of the Newsboys. Sure he helped found it but it's kind of a misleading ploy to get people to watch the program when he wasn't even a contributor to the popularity that the band has enjoyed since his departure.

Bottom line is, Christians lose their faith all day long, everyday. Sometimes they are pastors or priests, and sometimes they are musicians. On the other hand many ordinary folks, community leaders, and even musicians become believers all day long, every day. Neither case proves anything other than we make small and big choices every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment